Thursday, 24 September 2015

Project-Based Learning: The Road Trip to Success

Essay? Test? Experiment? Combining these variations of assessment in a culminating project? – Not exactly. Traditionally, students are transmitted knowledge throughout the year and are expected to perform via these facets of culminating assessment based on what they have “learned”. Project-based learning on the other hand may use small parts of these typical activities to create an ongoing exploration of learning through the various workings of a large project. Additionally, project based learning is not limited to particular subject matter. For example, I would consider creating a dance sequence in groups with specific themes, movement concepts, skills and strategies over the course of a unit in physical education and performing it at a school assembly or as part of a narrative play project-based learning, or PBL. I have explored PBL for the first time primarily online and its premise has caught my attention!

“Learning that begins with the student’s own interests and questions. Learning activities are long term, interdisciplinary, and student-centered and are integrated with real-world issues and practices. Students are involved in making decisions about how they will find answers and solve problems.” 
– Alberta Ministry of Education, 2004


The PBL Process

I will use a road trip analogy to depict the PBL process because;
Retrieved from: http://pixgood.com/success-is-a-journey-not-a-destination.html

When one decides to take a road trip, there is often a general idea of a destination point, however the most exciting and worthwhile lessons arise on the road. You encounter things you would not expect to encounter and face obstacles you never thought imaginable. In fact, the end point may change along the way. You cannot precisely predict the fine details of the trip such as kilometres  stop times, food and gas money, and more. You learn new things throughout the journey. This holds to the same idea of project-based learning where students learn while doing a project, rather than planning out prior knowledge to apply to a project. PBL can be seen as the “vehicle” for instruction and application to happen simultaneously. 
Retrieved from: http://ucdtaconsultants.blogspot.ca/2011_02_01_archive.html
There is often a reason as to why someone wants to take a road trip. What is making the car go? In PBL, students are presented with an open ended driving question that sparks questions and authentic interest and wonder about the task. PBL creates a road trip for student(s) to embark on to reach a destination – however emphasizing the importance of pit stops along the way. After deciding where to go, one would determine what essentials are needed to survive the trip such as gas money, food, car mechanics, etc. In PBL, students with the facilitation of teachers must determine what content knowledge and skills are needed to solve a problem. Here is where we incorporate 21st century learning skills such as inquiry and collaboration to foster engagement and relevancy. Sometimes you will have company on your road trip. You will need to work together to get where you want to go, just as students work together to produce a product, demonstration, or performance. Learning goals are created, and assessed based on an individualized criteria rubric. In many ways, the process is in conjunction with the product and students are able to reflect on their journey along the way (Drake, Reud & Kolohon, 2014, p. 3-4). There are countless resources for educators at all levels to learn how to effectively use project-based learning in their classroom. I have learned that the process can be complex and starting off small is important. Twitter is an excellent way to learn and share the PBL experience:


This concept is new to me and as a future educator I am excited to utilize this method of curriculum in my teaching endeavors both in and out of the classroom. While investigating project-based learning I have come across a surplus of support and confirmation of effectiveness based on research. Suzie Boss (2011) shares expert views on the important of this learning strategies including Chris Lehmann who stated "Inquiry-driven and project-based learning makes sense for today's learners because it gives them the opportunity to connect the work they do in school with the larger world around them. We must stop saying that school is "preparation for real life" and acknowledge that school is real life for the kids while they are in it. Project-based learning allows that to happen in powerful, meaningful ways."   I urge current and particularly future educators like myself to consider the value of PBL as an educational tool and entirely new depth of learning for students. I look forward to learning more about project-based learning in class, online, and in practice. The following video is an excellent representation of what PBL looks like… enjoy and start packing for your road trip!




Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzCGNnU_WM


References:

Alberta Ministry of Education. (2004). Focus on inquiry: A teacher’s guide to implementing inquiry-based learning. Edmonton, AB: Alberta Learning: Learning and Teaching Resources. Retrieved from: http://education.alberta.ca/media/313361/focusoninquiry.pdf

Boss, S. (2011). Project-Based Learning: What Experts Say. Retrieved from: http://www.edutopia.org/project-based-learning-experts

Drake, S. M., Reid, J. L., & Kolohon, W. (2014). Interweaving Curriculum and Classroom Assessment: Engaging the 21st Century Learner. Don Mills, ON:Oxford University Press.







3 comments:

  1. Laura,

    You are such a natural blogger! Firstly I want to tell you how much I LOVE your blog name. I know I said this to you in person already but I wanted to make it blog official here, very clever! Something about the way you write is very fluent. Although the blogpost is stuffed with information from other resources, it does not seem to overwhelm me as a reader one bit. You used so many amazing resources, but by far my favourite is the twitter post! I have never seen this on any kind of blog before and I think it is something so 21st century of you to include. There are so many things I love about this post and I can't wait to read more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    What a great blog! I thoroughly enjoyed your post, as well as your clear passion for what you're discussing. Using the analogy of a roadtrip was such a fun idea and it really tied together your points nicely. By doing this, it was less of a factual based lesson and more enjoyable to read! Even though your blog was still packed with information as Alysha stated above, it is delivered in a light-hearted manner, making it much easier to understand and in turn, appreciate. I also like that you threw in a quote, making your blog a lot more personable and relatable. Having something there that can reach out to people on a broad basis makes them more likely to want to continue reading your blogs, I know I want to!

    Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,

    Your blog was both professional and easy to understand. I enjoyed your road trip analogy - it made the concept of PBL relatable and easy to follow. Your use of links and picture/video examples is also effective. There are just enough to get me asking more questions about PBL and wanting to research it myself. Overall it was an informative and enjoyable read, and I can't wait to read more from your blog! :)

    KC

    ReplyDelete