The Pre-Step in the 21st century
idea of Backward Design in curriculum is perhaps the most important part of the process. This step asks
teachers to know your curriculum, and know your students. There are many ways
to approach both of these tasks, and in this space we will primarily focus on
aspects of knowing your students (Drake, Reid & Kiloton, 2011).
![]() |
Retrieved from: http://www.connectionsacademy.com/
blog/posts/2013-01-18/Understanding-Your-Student-s-Learning
-Style-The-Theory-of-Multiple-Intelligences.aspx
|
One way of getting to know your students as well as providing them with opportunities to know themselves as learners, is by
evaluating their pre-knowledge and skills through diagnostic assessments (Drake, Reid & Kiloton, 2011). Specifically,
a teacher may evaluate students learning preferences via multiple
intelligences. Howard Gardner (1983) presents eight different ways in which students can express their intellectual competencies. Gardner’s theory challenges the traditional
view of intelligence that most people have understood through prior research
and theories as well as experiencing a fixed view of intelligence that focuses
on cognitive domains.
Not only is it important for teachers to
know their student's multiple intelligences, it is equally important for students to
know their intelligences. Being aware fosters ownership in individual learning and
self-reflection and allows students to find relevancy and meaning in the curriculum. In EDUC 8P19 at Brock University students are required to
observe grade 6-12 classrooms for classroom dynamics and management. While
observing a grade 7-homeroom class, the teacher had created an inspiring student-centered
learning environment demonstrating that he certainly knew his students. The
following board was located at the back of the classroom:
![]() |
| Personal Photograph |
![]() |
| Personal Photograph |
The following school is called the Etona Multiple Intelligences Academy in Gainesville, Georgia where teachers give
students opportunities to practice all of their smarts through stations and
various activities while still meeting curriculum expectations.
Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zBKAT3Ie_s
Hattie (2012) presents research on visible learning and presents five attitudes and beliefs of expert teachers. Number one says that expert teachers can identify the most important ways to represent the subjects they teach. Research demonstrates that when students can access content in multiple ways learning is improved. Expert teachers provide these opportunities by problem solving and adapting their teaching in response to examining what students have not learned and what students are not progressing through a variety of different contexts.
I believe multiple intelligence is absolutely necessary in knowing your students and being able to adapt to their individual needs both as a life-long learner and as a human being. Although educators do not want to limit students to specific types of intelligent learners, we want to get away from the one-size-fits-all models of delivering information by allowing students to utilize many multiple intelligences and grow in each of the categories.
Perhaps the next discussion you have with your students or with anyone around you should sound like "how are we smart?"
Until next time,
Ms. Kee
References
Until next time,
Ms. Kee
References
Drake, S. M., Reid, J. L., & Kolohon, W. (2014). Interweaving
Curriculum and Classroom Assessment: Engaging the 21st Century
Learner. Don Mills, ON:Oxford University Press.
Gardner, H. (1983). Frames of mind: The theory of multiple intelligences. New York, NY:
Basic Books.
Hattie, J. (2011). Visible
Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning. New York, NY:
Routledge.



Laura, What a great post!
ReplyDeleteFor starters, your title was an excellent depiction of your post. I really enjoyed your discussion of the importance of not only knowing your students, but the impact and relevance it can have when they too, know THEMSELVES. In naming your post "Knowing Together" there is a clear understanding of the importance in both parties having a particular awareness of their intelligence type. Self-reflection, as you mention, is a key aspect in understanding where a student made good points and where there is room for improvement. In taking a look at your second 'personal photograph' I really love this teacher's idea in terms of what to "Ask Yourself" about the learning process. Although it is crucial to understand what you are learning, I love the idea around understanding the importance behind WHY you are learning it, as well as how it is beneficial. This type of classroom visual invites students through incentives to critically think about the information they are being presented with. It also gives them the mode to think about how they learn best, understanding their intelligence type and in turn, learning style. Finally, your closing paragraph works to really tie all your key terms together, as you explain the importance in moving away from a "one-size-fits-all" mode. Although it is crucial to understand a child's intelligence, that is not to say that we must not allow fluidity, promoting work in multiple intelligences as we as educators allow students to grow, as you state, in each category. I believe this to be your best blog so far Laura, as you incorporate many aspects of what we have touched on, relating them all to one another. Although this is the last required blog of the class, I encourage you to keep posting as your ideas are exceptional and will prove themselves very useful for the teachers of today as well as tomorrow!
Kelsie
Laura,
ReplyDeleteYour posts are always so engaging with teacher and student relationships. I have realized, as your posts move forward, you incorporate more and more about Assessment FOR Learning. I completely agree with you that knowing your students and understanding how they learn is one of the most important jobs of a teacher. How in the world would we know how to assess a student without knowing them first right? The idea that their are so many multiple intelligences really puts into perspective how a "one size fits all" approach to education just does not work. I love how you have added the pictures into your blog so that readers can actually click on them to zoom in. Without this I don't think I would be able to read what was in the pictures too well. When I click on the picture and make it bigger I can read all of the different intelligences. Some of them are new to me and I think it is great that educators are discovering more kinds of intelligences every day! Why would we every want to limit society by only practicing one or two of these intelligences in our school. A student may never know that they were, for example, "Nature Smart" if a teacher had never included this into their curriculum, instruction or assessment. I really loved the video you included of the school in Georgia. I think it is really important to foster and practice different intelligences at a young age so the students actually get to know themselves! I believe that when a student is self-aware of their intelligence they will find more confidence in their school work, especially if the teacher is accepting of all intelligences.
I hope you care to continue posting on your blog and using it as a resource for other teachers and future teachers to learn from! I know I will be a continuous reader :)
- Alysha
Laura,
ReplyDeleteMy favourite things about your posts, consistently, have been your examples. You have a talent for connecting the concepts you are discussing with visual media. The choice of that particular Multiple Intelligences diagram, for example, was very wise because it not only lists the fancy name for each, but also the simple name, making it easier for those new to the concept of multiple intelligences to understand what the different categories are. Your post was also enjoyable to read.
All the best!
-KC